10 Reasons Why You Should Forgive NOW!
- Are you struggling to forgive a wrong?
- Do you find yourself criticizing someone for something they did that hurt you?
- Do you replay how you should have responded or what happened over and over in your head?
If you answered yes to any of these questions then you're at the right place. I, like many others, have struggled to forgive and have held grudges. In the process of working through my own emotional pain, the Lord has revealed the necessity of healing from the past, letting things go, and forgiving others. In addition, he’s shown me areas where I resented him.
The Lord, in His mercy, was patient with me because my issues were deep-seated and rooted. I had to unpack all of the bitterness that first started with my parents. Maybe you’re like me and you suffer from childhood affliction. Perhaps you also have resentment and bitterness towards your parents? Whatever the issue is, we must let it go but not in it of ourselves. We must let it go with God.
Let’s look at the 10 reasons why we should forgive.
- It heals the brain. Unforgiveness makes us more susceptible to pain because it increases the sensitivity of the part of our brain that activates emotion. Therefore, you are perpetuating negative emotion when you don't forgive. Leviticus 19:17-18
- You'll disconnect from the pain. A bond is created between the harmed and the offender when we get hurt. As long as the link exists, we experience the event over and over again. Matthew 18:21-35
- It helps you to mature. Forgiveness not only helps you physically. It also helps you to mature spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. Forgiveness raises your emotional quotient (EQ). Your emotional quotient is the level to which you are able to handle confrontation in a healthy way. Forgiving helps you to confront a negative emotion in a healthy way, therefore creating healthy brain patterns.
- Christ did it! Christ paid the price for sin. This means he had to also forgive those who hurt him. We now have a pattern to follow to help us completely heal and forgive others. Jeremiah 31:33
- You’ll lead by example. When you choose to forgive you also help others who are watching to forgive. You can be an example to others who are also struggling to let it go. You'll teach others how to love like Christ.
1 John 4:20-21
- It bonds you to Christ! Forgiving others helps us to push beyond how we think and feel and connect with how Christ thinks and feels about the situation, the other person, and yourself. It gives you a deeper understanding that you cannot have otherwise. Romans 8:13-14
- It helps you to remain positive. Believe it or not, holding onto grudges will cause you to respond negatively. This ultimately impacts the way you feel. If you’re struggling with depression, anxiety or other mental health issues ask God if you have unforgiveness in your heart. Proverbs 17:22
- It heals others. Choosing to forgive will impact how you think and feel. This will affect how you feel and treat those who are close to you. They will feel the benefit of your freed heart. Matthew 6:14-15
- It gives you spiritual and emotional rest. Unforgiveness causes stress. It’s a burden. When we have forgiven we are now able to rest our minds from the heavy burden that the trauma caused. Proverbs 28:13
- It builds our trust in the Lord! Forgiving others will build our relationship and trust in God. By forgiving others you're choosing to give the situation or burden to God and allow him to resolve it.
1 Peter 5:7
Overall, forgiveness ultimately helps and heals you. If you are ready to let go of past hurt that caused you to feel negative about yourself, others and God then subscribe to get a free copy of my Forgiveness Workshop! This powerful workshop gives you the tools to overcome and heal from the root of unforgiveness.
Until Next Time...
Denetra Gary, LCSW
Complement & Complete